A. BACKGROUND INFORMATION
Our Client is a leading global alternative energy technology company operating in multiple countries in Europe Africa and Asia.
The Client sells their products mainly in the rural areas through a creative credit system requiring thorough evaluation of client credit worthiness.
The Client seeks to fill the above position in their Tanzania Branch with a suitably qualified and competent person with experience working in an established bank involved in lending to rural communities or a well-established microfinance institution.
B. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Managing Director, the job holder will be responsible for providing strategic leadership and direction to the Lending and portfolio Management function. He/she shall be responsible for developing and implementing sound systems for carrying out customer assessments, loan recovery and credit control activities to ensure income growth, and consistent implementation of the client’s credit product awareness.
Specific duties will include;
- Providing strategic direction of credit department within the organization.
- Responsible for the review and approval of commercial credit proposals of the company and to maintain a good balance between returns and risks exposure.
- Hands-on management of all day-to-day operations of Credit team along the customer credit cycle, i.e. Credit assessment, underwriting, loan monitoring and work-out, including development of appropriate responses to portfolio underperformance
- Taking responsibility for and managing the Credit Department as a profit centre which reports on key performance indicators related to company targets (P&L, portfolio quality, operational efficiency)
- Playing a key role in development of new lending platform, establishing and updating all lending policies and guidelines.
- Fostering a strong credit culture in the organization, building and leading teams that act in accordance with the client’s policies, and sound credit delivery principles e.g. Ensure high standard credit quality of the
portfolio at all times.
- Analyzing and evaluating internal and external risks, and providing relevant pre-cautions and solutions to the risks.
- Providing requirements and design inputs, particularly with regard to credit risk recognition, measurement and its reporting as a part of core team for implementation of key credit risks.
- Reviewing and developing the client’s credit approval and repossession policies and guidelines as well as participating in ad hoc projects of investigative or trouble-shooting nature on specific customers portfolio
- Serve as a key point of contact for the client’s domestic and international 3rd party funding partners and ensure operational compliance with related KPIs
- Ensuring proper integration of the Credit department into the client’s overall operations and workflows
- Regularly reviewing the Department KPIs, performance assessment vs KPIs along with related internal and external reporting
- Ensuring staff understand the context of their roles in relation to the client’s strategy
- Ensuring staff in the department exhibit proper /acceptable behavior when performing their duties.
- Ensuring performance consequences are taken by the line managers in the department i.e. recognizing best performers and managing poor performers from time to time through both formal and informal feedback.
- Assessing and monitoring the training and development needs of the staff in the department.
- Ensuring staff have the resources they require to perform their work
C. QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
The job holder should have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in Finance, Banking & Finance, Economics or any other related field. Postgraduate/Master’s degree is an added advantage
- Over 8 years’ experience in managing teams, ideally as a department manager/ portfolio manager/ product manager/Credit Manager at a Microfinance Institution (MFI) or SME-related bank or Mobile Network Operator (MNO)
- Hands on experience in credit assessment and/ or credit scoring and/ or data smart lending and/ or portfolio management as applied in an MFI or SME-related bank or MNO environment. High exposure to individual micro lending technology is an added advantage
D. ESSENTIAL COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidate should possess the following skills and competencies
- High level of creativity and innovation capacity to enhance and incorporate mobile-money based lending procedures
- High level of familiarity with typical income, expenditure and cash flow patterns of rural and
- Familiarity with the Credit Bureau system within East Africa, Microsoft Excel, Access, word, and understanding of Office 365.
- Strong analytical skills, attention to details and ability to assess risk while protecting the interest of the company, customers and investors.
- Mature profile combining output orientation, number orientation, customer orientation and process orientation
- Strong communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Very good organizational and interpersonal skills, dynamic self-starter and team player.
- International work experience with, or exposure to, partners based outside East Africa is an added advantage.
- Willingness to travel frequently (domestic; international)
- Fluency in English and Swahili with excellent verbal and writing skills
- Ability to work in a fast growing dynamic environment (not afraid of change)
Our client is offering a competitive remuneration package commensurate with the scope of responsibilities, qualifications and competence.
F. HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.careeroptionsafrica.co.ke and www.hreastafrica.com for more details on this position. This vacancy is open for East African Citizens.
Send CV to email@example.com with a subject heading of Head of Credit by 10th February 2019. However applications will be reviewed as they are received and qualified candidates called for interview as soon as their CV’s are received.
Candidates who do not hear from us by this date should consider their applications unsuccessful.